Wednesday, August 27, 2003

The return of the blog formerly known as The Daily(?) Beallsvonian can only properly return in the form, of course, of the dot column...

  • The proudest moment of my trip across the country? Probably in Utah, where I managed to surpass the magical hour mark--62 minutes on cruise control without touching a pedal. I probably could've done at least two hours on I-25 in Wyoming if it weren't for road construction.
  • When you're on a two-lane state route in the middle of Wyoming and trying to get somewhere, the next-to-last sign you want to see is "Road Construction". The last sign you want to see is the follow-up: "Pavement Ends". Doubleplus ungood.
  • A quick list of the restaurants I've been very happy to finally get back to: Kouraku in Little Tokyo, Nyala in Little Ethiopia, Philippe's the Original in old downtown (alleged creator of the French dip sandwich), the Coffee Table in Silver Lake, La Taquiza near USC, In 'n' Out Burger, and Fatburger. So far the best new find? The pupuseria two blocks from the new apartment. Mmmm, the great taste of El Salvador.
  • I went in for some special training last Wednesday at the Leading Test Preparation Company that I sometimes teach for and they said, "Oh, you teach LSAT. Would you like a class in Pasadena that starts tonight?" I didn't have to go Wednesday night, which was just a diagnostic exam, but I am teaching LSAT every Wednesday night and Saturday morning from now until the Saturday before I actually take the LSAT. Should be a good way to prepare.
  • South Dakota is a fairly boring state to drive across, but the Missouri River crossing is really nice, and Wall Drug was fun. I have to admit, though, that I wasn't expecting to be served a malted milkshake by two Belarussian teenagers there, however.
  • We're very pleased with the apartment--nice carpet, plenty roomy enough, and each bedroom has a nice little balcony. It's definitely Koreatown, which is fine; most other tenants in the building are youngish Korean families. They're quiet, except someone runs a vacuum cleaner or possibly a loud juicer at 7 a.m. But I'm dealing. Oh, and not to be ovely stereotypical, but there are clearly several piano and violin lessons going on.
  • I saw the third Steeler preseason game and everything seems to be in order for the season. We shall see. It looks like I'll be watching games at the Shark's Cove in Hermosa Beach rather than Gabe's in West LA, at least early in the season, because that seems to be where my Steeler buddies are watching games nowadays. It's a nicer bar but a bit less intense--although playing the '70s polka fight song before the game and after touchdowns and victories is an excellent touch.
  • There's certainly more to come, but that's enough for now. If you need more Joe, though, I guest edited the weekly column in this week's Athletic Reporter and will be doing so again next Monday.

No comments: