Tuesday, March 18, 2003

As promised, my NCAA picks. Call my entry what it goes by in two online pools I'm in: Donatas Darko (with an assist to one of the Pitt quiz-bowl guys for the name).

Sweet 16 teams
South: Texas, UConn, Maryland, Florida
East: Cal, Louisville, Penn, Wake Forest
West: Arizona, Illinois, Creighton, Memphis
Midwest: Kentucky, Dayton, Missouri, Pitt

Elite 8 games
UConn beats Maryland
Wake beats Louisville
Arizona beats Memphis
Pitt beats Kentucky

Final Four
Pitt over Wake 68-63 in the title game

My picks are of course total objective and based on my expert basketball analysis, and not at all biased based on me having my alma mater winning it all and annoying perennial powers going down early. I also have this quirk where I figure out the first #1 seed I think will lose, and I have them lose in the first round because one of these years it's going to happen, and I'll be that one guy who called it. Of course, I'll probably pick the wrong #1 that year, but so it goes. This year, I have Oklahoma losing to South Carolina State, even though I know Oklahoma's score will probably have three digits and SC State's will probably start with a 5 or 6. My other big first round upsets are Weber State over Wisconsin, Wisconsin-Milwaukee over Notre Dame, Creighton and Memphis over Duke and Kansas respectively (2nd round), Penn over Oklahoma State and Syracuse, San Diego over Stanford, and Troy State over Xavier. If two happen, I'll probably gloat incessantly, so considered yourselves warned.

No comments: