Thursday, September 04, 2003

So I made two simultaneous decisions that will most definitely hamper blogging for the time being. One is that I agreed to take on a second LSAT class which had started and was abandoned by its original teacher. So I'm now teaching Tuesday through Thursday night and Saturday morning until October 4th. At least I'm getting paid for all that.

The second decision has been a long time coming. For those of you who don't know me, some background. I have been fat as long as I remember. When I was 6 I was fat. When I was 4, I'm not sure. So somewhere in there. I have been literally obese for over 20 years. Three years ago I decided enough was enough and I started working out with a trainer. After two years of hard work, I was somewhat less obese. When I was done I weighed 360 pounds, which was an improvement, but it's not clear how much of one, because I wasn't weighed at the start. Suffice it to say I had put on a lot of muscle weight, lost a lot of fat weight, and the difference was probably 30-60 pounds. When I moved back to PA, I was depressed and broke, so I had neither the motivation nor wherewithal to continue training, and I fell into sloth and bad eating. That lasted a year. When I came back to L.A. last month, I quickly joined a gym, and my membership came with 6 training sessions. Over the past two weeks I have done 5 of those sessions, mostly 2 nights a week. I asked the trainer early along to set me up on a program that I could do myself once the sessions were done. On Monday night he did that. That plan is much more intense than my previous plan, but I feel that I'm ready for it. Oh yes, and the semi-good news was that beformy first session I weighed in at 361 pounds. Good news that I didn't gain much of anything, but scary in terms of how much muscle I must've lost in order to gain as much fat as I did and stay at the same weight.

So anyway, the decision is that for the foreseeable future I will be getting up at 5 a.m. and doing cardio and lifting every day before work, and 6 days a week total. Like I said it's more intense than I've done before, but enough is just simply enough. I want to get in shape and do it as rapidly as possible, and so that's what I'm going to do. If I could get up at 5:30 for a hellish commute, I can get up at 5 for legitimate, major self-improvement.

Between these two things, I just don't know how much I'll be blogging. I know I've threatened as much in the past, but the big difference is that I do not have internet access or time at work any more. I certainly still like blogging enough that I will keep it up, but it may be sparse for the next month or so. After the LSAT cycle, I should actually have more free time again. In the meantime, watch this space and I'll pop in as I can.

No comments: