Saturday, April 10, 2004

A couple of things that have been bugging me recently, and a couple of disturbing signs in my neighborhood:

  • Bugging #1: Are there any polite ska bands? You only ever hear about the rude ones.
  • Bugging #2: This has been bugging me forever, but why exactly was trucking Coors east of Texarkana considered bootlegging in Smokey and the Bandit?
  • Sign #1: The bus bench where I get off the bus at night has an ad on it for Chris Nam, who is absolutely the picture of the overly smiley real estate agent in any cul-de-sac suburb in America (except, you know, more Korean than most). But the disturbing part is his slogan: "Everything I Touch Turns to Sold!" I have nothing to add here.
  • Sign #2: A couple blocks down from me is something called the "Oriental Mission Church"--where the mission might once have been toward the "Orientals", and now it's by them. So they have this banner up for their Easter children's program, and here's the text in its entirety:
    "Jesus, How much do you love me" "THIS MUCH" Jesus said and then he spread out his arms and DIED ON THE CROSS. That's HOW MUCH Jesus loves you!

Yes, the red is in red. No, I'm not making any of this up. Yes, I have to go lie down for a while.
P.S.: Final thought for today: If I ever write a review of the real Rollerball, you'd best believe it will be in Westminster font.

No comments: