Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Quick quiz: What do these things have in common?
The Copts, Friedrich Durenmatt's The Physicists, Bonus Army, Walter Benjamin, hegemony, Rosh Hashanah, Giles Goat-Boy, Nathan Zuckerman, Ross Geller, Pragmatism, Vikram Seth, Heinrich Boll's The Clown, Vinson Massif.

Those are the correct tossup answers given by yours truly in 7 rounds of quiz-bowl at Berkeley this past weekend. I'm not sure what to make of them--I'm happy to have known them, particularly Clown, which I've actually read. I've wondered where I would stand as a player nowadays, and now I have a benchmark--I can get about 2 non-trash tossups per game on ass-hard questions playing with 25 ppg of teammates and going 1-6 as a team. How much of a benchmark that is, I don't know. I'm unsure whether or not I'll be playing now again now that I'm back in school. I've kind of considered myself retired for a while, but then again the idea of getting to be the 3rd or 4th scorer on a really good team is a luxury I've never had on a regular basis. To be able to do that on a national championship level has a lot of appeal. But then again, I don't even know if I would be the 7th or 8th best player on a Michigan squad at this point, and I can't imagine that I'm going to spend much time in law school trying to get better at quiz-bowl. I guess only time will tell.

No comments: