Friday, March 25, 2005

UPDATED: Well, clearly I've hit the point in the semester where the blog starts to suffer. Just a few quick updates on the personal front:

  • I've been offered part-time work in the law library, which I have to accepted by Monday, so I'm looking at probably a 99.44 100% chance of being in Ann Arbor this summer.
  • I'm pulling for Michigan State tonight, because my other three Final Four teams are gone, and it would really piss me off if Duke was the only one I got right.
So I'm now in the process of picking classes for next year, which is quite a switch from this year. This year, they give us a schedule, and we get to pick exactly one elective from a short list. Now, basically anything goes, with only a few generic requirements (one seminar, one "professional responsibility" class, Transnational Law).

One of the major debates in my own mind is how pragmatically to approach this process, how much I'm concerned about important foundational and upper-level classes, vs. how many classes I can take because they sound enjoyable. Here's what I'm thinking about and why:
  • Trusts and Estates: Probably not something I would practice a lot of, but useful for attorneys to have for general practice and for personal life.
  • Administrative Law: Useful, though probably not something I need a lot of, and this is a 2-credit version as opposed to a 4-credit alternative; also, it's a class that meets for 2 hours a day for the first three weeks of the term and that's it.
  • Secured Transactions: I.e., mortgages. Useful personally and professionally, and I want to take this professor, who's going on leave for a while.
  • Jurisdiction: Doesn't sound interesting at all, but important foundation. I guess.
  • Evidence: See Jurisdiction.
  • Land Use Planning and Control: I'm giving a good deal of thought to real estate, and this sounds really useful for that.
  • First Amendment: Not that practical, but taught by my favorite first-year prof, and I always feel like if you learn a lot from someone, take anything they offer.
  • Taxation of Individual Income: Foundational tax class, required for all the other tax classes, and again useful both professionally and personally.
  • Enterprise Organizations: I.e. corporations. Seems like everyone takes this first semester, second year; important for most other business classes; probably the only thing here that's not negotiable.

I'm probably looking at taking 4 classes. Time conflicts are: Admin/T&E/Secured Transactions; 1st Amendment/Land Use/Jursdiction; and Tax/Evidence.

Any former law school types (or anyone else, for that matter) have any thoughts here?

No comments: