Wednesday, November 02, 2005

UPDATE: I think a couple of commenters (commentors?) missed the point--of course they covered Garbage Pail Kids and The Last Dragon...in "I Love The '80s" and "I Love The '80s Strikes Back." They're well beyond things you'd actually associate with a particular year for the 3rd go-around. I mean, when your gimmick is based on the 3rd Jaws movie...


OK, so I love "I Love the '_0s" as much as the next guy. In fact, way WAY more than the next guy. WAAAAY more. Still, even I have to admit that the '80s have been stripmined by VH-1 at this point. To illustrate, here are the topics covered in "I Love the '80s 3-D" for 1985:

  • Bob Ross, The Joy of Painting (leading with PBS; strong)
  • Monster trucks ("We'll sell you the whole seat--BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!!!")
  • Mick Jagger and David Bowie Dancin' in the Streets (timely)
  • Calvin Klein Obsession ads ("I alone could possess her. Her deepest thoughts know only to me.")
  • Legend of Billie Jean (i.e.: some movie I'd never heard of)
  • Phil Collins, particularly Sussudio (highlight: Mark Hoppus of blink-182 calling him a "badass" as a songwriter)
  • Joe Theismann's leg
  • My Buddy
  • "Weird Al" Yankovic (quote from him that made the episode: "I wrote 'Eat It' because I wanted to buy a house. It worked.")
  • Just One of the Guys (i.e.: some movie I've barely heard of)
  • Bernie Goetz (but strangely no AIDS, crack, or hypodermics on the shore)
  • Sour Patch Kids
  • Brewster's Millions (my God, the evil accountant is the 7th Heaven dad?!)
  • "You like me--you really like me!"
  • El Debarge, Rhythm of the Night
  • Spies Like Us
  • Rocky IV
If there's another installment, I expect a lot of footage of producers asking Hal Sparks if he remembers a show, and he'll be like, "yeah, kinda, vaguely--are you sure that didn't just air in Canada?"

No comments: