Sunday, March 02, 2003

I have very occasional bouts with quasi-insomnia. These are not nights where I get absolutely no sleep, but rather nights where I have a lot of difficulty originally getting to sleep, and then wake up frequently from what never seems to be very deep sleep. I hadn't had one in over a month, but last night was such a night. I decided that when life gives you lemons, check your state's lemon laws. But then make lemonade, and so I'm blogging about my fitful night. Here is a list of things that happened during the night, either for real or in my dreams--since one of the few plusses about these bouts is that I remember my dreams fairly well in the morning.

  • Turned off the TV following a weak SNL sketch involving two Irish barkeepers and Ray Liotta, who ended up throwing a barstool through one of those golf video games.
  • Hung out with a former professor, except that we hung out at what was definitely the current house of my friends Bill and Terri, this professor was talking about sitcoms he would certainly never have watched, and the room was filled with the ultimate redneck signifier--empty beer cans being used as Skoal spittoons. Who was using them in that manner is unclear.
  • Thought I heard the shower going, which suggested it was morning and time to get up, but looked at the clock at it was only 5 a.m.; realized that "shower" was actually rain.
  • Learned that the current WWE champion goes by the moniker "Freedom", and is wrestling a contender locally going by the cheesy counter-moniker of "Nothing Left to Lose."
  • Checked the clock, it had stopped at 12:30, it had melted it was so darn hot, and I was thirsty.
  • Decided the previous line was too obscure and probably lame anyway; left it in in the interest of full disclosure.
  • Wandered through an unfamiliar airport with one of those disparate groups of people from different points of my life assembled only in dreams; we may have been looking for my aunt, or possibly dropping her off.
  • Counted backwards from 1,000 by 7s, an insomnia remedy my mother once taught me; gave up at approximately 734.
  • Woke up for good; found stuck in my head the song "Me and Bobbi McGhee"--female spelling to indicate that I was singing the Kenny Rogers and the First Edition version rather than the better know Janis Jopln version.
  • Thought up several bits for a standup comedy routine I will almost certainly never perform; forgot the whole thing, save the line, "When life gives you lemons, check your state's lemon laws."; wondered whether I had actually heard this line somewhere or actually made it up; decided probably the latter, but couldn't be 100% sure.
  • Cursed self on several occasions for the second venti Breakfast Blend, consumed around 6 p.m.
  • Noted the time on the clock: 2:37; Ditto: 3:14; Ditto 5:06; Ditto: 6:01; Ditto: 7:26--did not attempt to go back to sleep at 7:26.

In non-insomnia related news, I took a practice LSAT yesterday both to (a) become eligible to teach that test for the Leading Test Preparation Company that I periodically work for, and to (b) gauge where I might score on that test without further intensive preparation. I scored a 170. I gather that this is very good--the comment of the student worker who printed out my score, when asked how good that score is, was, "I've never seen one"--but what I don't know is just how very good this is, other than that it is more than good enough to qualify to teach it for this LTPC. If anyone can--through hard data, clever analogy, anecdotal evidence, or any other clarifying method--help me gauge the meaning of this result, I would be thankful.

No comments: