Monday, March 17, 2003

I watched many many hours of NCAA basketball-related television coverage yesterday. The highlight, unquestionably, was when over the course of seven minutes tops, Digger Phelps identified 64 different teams as being "on a mission" in this upcoming tournament. The only reason I can think of for the single exclusion is that BYU's players have already been on a mission. I will of course post some predictions at some point; rest assured that the alma mater will figure prominently in them.

Speaking of sports, you should all go right now to The Athletic Reporter, a new Onion-style sports newspaper. You should go there because it is run by a good friend of mine and a good friend of his who is at least a solid acquaintance of mine. You should go there because they are very funny people, and because maybe if I ask nicely they will let me contribute something from time to time. You should also go there because the secret agenda of this blog is to see if people will do what I tell them, just because I tell them to (BWAHAHAHA!!!). One word of caution: there is one blatant lie in the introductory column, as I know for a fact that the editor is not just some guy but is in fact a close personal friend of Joe Mays.

And one word of caution for The Athletic Reporter itself: it's going to be hard to parody sports when guys do things like this and this.

No comments: