Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I don't have a whole lot to say about the last "Buffy" from last night. It was a functional last episode that wrapped up the recent storylines, left open the possibility for a movie franchise, and entertained about as much as any other recent episode. It doesn't go up there with "Newhart" or "MASH", but it also wasn't a Seinfeldian head-scratcher or anything. The only thing that makes me mad is this: I am not the type of person to glom on to key details in a show with a "mythology" knowing that they will come into play later, but several months ago I grabbed on to The First (in the guise of Buffy and Dawn's mother) telling Dawn, "In the end, she won't choose you," and have been going on the assumption that this statement would play a key role in the denouement. Instead, it never even came up again. I don't know whether to chalk that up to a dangling thread, a legitimate red herring, or just me reading too much into one of evil's lies. But I thought I was starting to get the hang of how to watch one of those shows with a mythology, and it turned out I was dead wrong.

No comments: