Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Yesterday in Criminal we were talking about "strict liability" crimes, which are crimes requiring no mental state; these are rare, as you normally have to act recklessly, knowingly, or at least negligently to be convicted of a crime. The case involved a statutory rape where a 20-year-old mentally retarded man with an IQ of 52 had befriended this 13-year-old girl who had told him she was 16 (younger than 14 was the requirement of this particular statute), who invited him to climb in through her window one night, slept with him, and had his baby. This is obviously bad and all all-around, including as our professor pointed out, that the girl was also guilty of statutory rape under a different provision about having intercourse with the mentally or physically disabled. All I could think during this discussion, though, was BEST LOVELINE CALL EVER!!! Adam and Dr. Drew could have spent about three hours talking to this girl.

Meanwhile, in talking about a standard of behavior in Legal Practice today, the prof was discussing "outrageousness" and at one point said something about "really, really outrageous", to which I had to fight with my entire being to resist the urge to raise my hand and ask, "Truly, truly, truly outrageous?"

Oh, also, in Property one day I somehow managed to get this in my head:

"She bought some....property
She brought it home
She's shopping property.
Shopping proper-ty-hee,
Shopping property yeah,
She's shopping prop-per-tee-hee-yeah..."

I don't know what the moral is here, beyond the idea that law school hasn't cured me of my me-ness, and in fact may actually be making it worse.

Oh, and on a sad note, I had to listen to this song today to honor the passing of a great, great man.

No comments: