Thursday, May 26, 2005

No, the law review application didn't kill me; make me stronger? we'll see.

What is making me stronger is that I'm spending a lot of time in the gym, as hoped. One of the strangest things I've noticed is this. In L.A, both at USC and 24-Hour Fitness, they played a lot of the types of music you might expect to hear in a gym--hip-hop and rock, up-tempo, psyche-you-up type music. Here, two of the three gyms play no music at all; it's eerily quiet at times, but you get used to it.

The third gym, the IM Building, does not play music in the cardio rooms, but does in the main weight room. The thing is, they play a soft rock, "best of the '80s/'90/and today with no rap" station--the type you might expect a middle-aged secretary in a bad job to be playing at work. Occasionally it works--Crowded House's "Something So Strong" was strangely apropos--but for the most part you end up with the type of morose songs that make you want to put down the barbells and go sit somewhere and whimper. Within the last week I've heard "In the Air Tonight," "Come to My Window," and "Let Her Cry."

You might think this little story was going somewhere, but no. I just needed to vent. Carry on.

No comments: