Sunday, February 23, 2003

I also went to see a sneak preview last night of the new Steve Martin/Queen Latifah vehicle Bringing Down the House. I would give it about 3 to 3 1/4 stars out of 4. Based on audience reaction, this movie really has the potential to do well if it starts to find an audience, because I can't remember the last time I was in a theater so uproarious with laughter from adults. Teenagers get uproarious more easily, so I don't count them. Martin and Latifah are good, but some supporting performances really make this movie--Betty White as the racist neighbor, Eugene Levy as Martin's co-worker totally smitten with Latifah, Steve Harris (a.k.a. the black guy from The Practice) as the bad guy. Mostly, though, I'm convinced that the people behind this movie made it as an excuse to answer one question: wouldn't it be funny if we got Joan Plowright stoned?! The answer is yes, and the film is definitely worth a look, though if you're not an avid moviegoer it can wait for the DVD/video release. Also, if any of my USC history buddies are reading this, you need to help me figure out if Betty White's house is actually Carole Shammas' house. In the credits they thanked the residents of McCadden Place, and I started putting 2 and 2 together. I don't want to know, I need to know...

No comments: