Wednesday, April 23, 2003

I went to my cousin Amy's viewing last night. Since I will be at work for the funeral, in my mind we buried her last night. One of the hundred little things that made this so tragic was that Amy had been doing a very nice job of building a successful small business; last night, she was on display there.

Most funeral homes seem to have a back room, a public room I mean, but one that is away from the rooms that display bodies, flowers, etc.--a room where mourners can get away from other mourners and all reminders of the deceased for a few minutes, maybe get some coffee, and unwind a little before going back into the breach. This is a necessary and appropriate room to have. The effect, however, is lost when the diplomas, certifications, and permits on the walls of that room all bear the name of the deceased.

No comments: