Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Dreams is one of the three to five best books I've read since I started reviewing here. Great stuff. I especially found the you can't go home again stuff compelling, even if she could while I ultimately couldn't. This book falls generally into a subgenre dealing with indigenous peoples that has recurred in my reading from The List, but instead of Mexicans or Mexican-Americans, in this book it's primarily Puebloes and Navajoes. This is also one of those books about sisters, but whereas most of them just assume guys won't be able to access the relationship so they don't even try, this one actually gave some insight into all of that. It also deals with political action on global and local scale, cowardice, over-education (I perked up here), and the persistence or extinction of ancient ways. It's an excellent novel, and since the original point of reading fro The List was to read some new authors, I'm reasonably confident I will be picking up more Barbara Kingsolver.

One of these days I'm going to get around to talking about work, which could be a very long entry, but that won't come until we get a new hard drive at home or everyone at work leaves at 5:30 on a day where I'm here until 6:30.

No comments: