Wednesday, December 08, 2004

If you've ever wondered what it's like to be a candidate to host a network late-night talk show or alternately the King of Siam, wonder no longer.

Also, I hate to relink to something 80% of you probably saw elsewhere, but this gem shows us some holiday specials that could've (arguably should've) been. (Thanks Mike.)

A wise man once said, I don't want to work. I just want to bang on the drum all day. That's the way I'm feeling right now, except for the drum part. I'm in the midst of a two-hour break between Contracts and Criminal, which is for all intents and purposes my last class of the semester. (Tomorrow's the last day for the semester, but it's all review sessions.) Generally, this window has been productive time for me. This week, it just makes me want to sleep.

Yesterday I was bummed after Contracts because I didn't want to go outside through the cold rain back to my room, and I figured if I went there I'd fall asleep. Then I remembered I didn't have my books for Crim, so I had to go. When I got there, I considered my options, and stumbled upon two brilliant ones. I made two cups of Sugar Plum Spice tea from the lifetime supply I ordered last November, and decided to watch a movie on my computer.

I needed a DVD that was in my collection and under 100 minutes long. I found one of those, in the classic "movie I liked too much to pass up for $5 but not enough to ever watch" film Singles. Good music, attractive people, a different angst than mine--it was fabulous. It wasn't even nearly as dated as I expected it to be, save for monochrome computer monitors, Matt Dillon's hair and the fact that Campbell Scott was the leading man. It was strange to just sit and watch for an hour and a half, and then I remembered that it's something normal people do all the time. It's incredible how I've adapted to a TV-free living environment, when I never thought I'd be able to live without terrific cable/DirecTV.

No comments: