Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Yesterday I tried to organize a mass evening study break movie trip. I learned a couple of things in the process--(1) law students talk a good study-break game but will often choose study over break when it comes down to it, and (2) the email for something like that should go out more than 4 hours in advance.

Still, eight of us descended on the Goodrich Quality 16 for Hollywood's latest retread. I have to say up front that I'm a fan of both Ocean's 11 and Ocean's 11. The original is a little bit campy--particularly the very ending--but I really like the old-school Vegas feel, the interaction between the stars, and Mr. Roper in a supporting role. I like the remake for similar reasons--the contrast of new Vegas is interesting to me, I think the big stars interact in cool ways, and it's fun to see the "I'm Mr. Galley-week-its," "You mean Dr. Galacawicz," "Yes I am" Guy in a supporting role.

Ocean's 12 is kind of a mess really. There are too many little stories going on, and then there's a whole misdirection thing that just seems like a big-ol' cheat. On the other hand, though, it was a fun distraction movie--the play between the stars is really cute, there are two great cameos by actors playing themselves, one great Hollywood joke that must be cracking people up in L.A. theaters even though I'm the only one who laughed out loud here (one of the cameo guys talking about the Kabbala), and a professional stylish tone that kept me engaged. And we all pretty much agreed that Catherine Zeta-Jones has never looked this good before (nor, for that matter, has Julia Roberts looked worse, but that seemed to be intentional).

I would give Ocean's 12 about 2 and 3/4 stars--3 and 1/2 for tone, style, and comic relief, 2 stars for the actual story.

No comments: