Sunday, January 30, 2005

So (via Fark) GQ reminds us why, let us count the ways, the Grammys suck. They didn't even mention the pluralizing with ys instead of ies thing. But it reminded me also of the generally ridiculous "Song of the Year" vs. "Record of the Year" distinction. Which in turn forced me to reconsider something I posted here recently. I've decided that "Mr. Brightside" is actually my Record of the Year, since it allows me to make a more appropriate choice for Song of the Year. My actual Song of the Year would be Such Great Heights. Why didn't I just make it Record of the Year, you may ask? Well, the reason is that two very different and both awesome in their own way versions came to light in 2004--the heart-rending acoustic Garden State soundtrack Iron and Wine version, and the nifty Postal Service electronica version. Some research would yield which version is the original and which is the cover (or that both are covers, and the original is some third version yet), but since I enjoy them both pretty equally I'm just not that concerned. Not that I would object to a comment from someone with knowledge...

No comments: