Monday, July 14, 2003

I have been spending a lot of time over the past week at this site. It's strange apartment hunting from afar--all I can really do is pine from a distance at different pictures, descriptions, and neighborhoods. The pictures all look roughly the same--taken from too close to see how bad the surrounding neighborhood is, or from too far away to see how bad the building is. The descriptions all basically run together, and are presumably full of PR lies anyway. But the neighborhood fantasies are what really get me going.

We've talked about Pasadena, we've talked about Highland Park, we've talked about Koreatown and some others. My current infatuation is with West Toluca Lake, although I'm now disheartened to find that it anagrams to "Lotsa luck ta ewe", which just sounds like it's taunting me. I'm also trying not to bug poor Jefferson (i.e. the future roommate) to death with all my dreaming, since he's doing all the work. It's been fun having my head in the clouds about this for a while, even though I know that on some level reality will necessarily disappoint, which it couldn't help but do given all the build-up I've had in my own head toward this impending move. That said, it's still the right move, it's still going to be great--I just hope that the day-to-day reality doesn't blind me to the fact that I'll be living the dream.

No comments: