Monday, July 28, 2003

This seems like a good time to talk about the old job and the new job a bit. The old job is winding down this week, as I try to clean up a few little messes and outstanding projects, while preparing Mari to take over what I do (except, of course, this). Jacob, who wrote that article about our job I linked to a while back, left last Friday to take a job with the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust. I must say that the three of us were a nice little over-educated team here. We got our work done efficiently and with a minimum of trouble, and we had good chats about anything and everything. The two of them (and my boss Julie) are what I will miss about this job.

While the work itself has often been dull and repetitive, I also credit this job for pulling me out of the doldrums and getting me re-established in the world in a lot of ways. I was truly floundering for a long time when I moved home, and while I had other local temp jobs, getting back into the city every day and working with professionals (and holding my own, in a way) has been the boost I've needed to take control of my life again. I also reminded myself that I can work long days and long weeks if I have to (or just want to), and that I can do odious things such as commute three hours a day if it serves a greater goal.

As for the new job, I will be a paralegal for a pair of lawyers in Downtown L.A. working on one complex death penalty appeal. It is understood by both sides that I will be there for one year because I'll be starting law school in fall 2004. The pay is solid, the hours are flexible, and it's a 15-minute bus ride from the new apartment. In short, it's everything I could hope for over the next year as I transition back to the West Coast and prepare for law school.

I hope things don't end up like my favorite power ballad, but right now the immediate future is looking up in a big way.

No comments: